Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Profiles in Courage: Chloe, Still Standing

Our teacher, Mrs. Hamilton, told us that we were going to have someone come in and talk about bullying. No one was really excited, we'd been talked to about this stuff before, and this lady wasn't gonna be any different. So we all sat down and talked while she got ready to present. I don't remember what happened during the first part of the period when she was talking (I'm almost sure it was statistics on bullying). I do remember her saying we would play a game and that everyone would participate. Basically, she would ask you questions like, 'Have you ever bullied anyone?' If you have, you stayed standing. I was shocked by many of the views of my classmates on things like morals and bullying. Like when she asked 'Do you think bullying is ok?'. Only one person stood up, but that still took me by surprise. One question seemed to stump many of my classmates. I knew what my answer was right away. The lady had asked us if we knew right from wrong. Everyone sat down except for one person. I was still standing. I was surprised to say the least. I'm glad my parents helped me set my morals in stone.  I can't recall much of what happened during that one-hour period, but that moment in particular stood out to me. So would you rather sit or stand? I'm gonna leave you all with a great quote. "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle." - St. Francis of Assisi.
Chloe is a fun-loving thirteen year-old, who enjoys 3-D modeling on her computer and writing in her spare time. She is involved in soccer, martial arts, and her church. She's currently in eighth grade at a small school in northwest Ohio where she excels in math, reading, and science. Chloe lives in Findlay, OH with her family, her pony, fish, cats and two dogs.  When she grows up she wants to be some sort of engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment